Sunday, January 3, 2010

First Deep Freeze of the Year

As this long cold snap continues in this part of the world, I ponder that just a few days ago I was in a place that was 95 degrees warmer. We brave and hardy souls of the upper Midwest pride ourselves about living in the coldest metropolitan city in the USA. Some have a passion for the great outdoors, but I for one only get that way when I am forced to by way of extreme cabin fever. I will endure the cold so that I don't go crazy. I learned a poem way back in my youth that deals with the problems of the cold in winter. The poem by Robert Service is called "The Cremation of Sam McGee."

Today was the last day of the regular season for football. My team had to win and another team which I despise also had to win so that my team could have a better position in the playoffs starting next week. For the next three weeks, it will be overabundance of football. If I was with someone special, this week is can be considered a widow maker.

Music for today:

Sting with Jerry Garcia
June 26, 1993
RFK Stadium
Washington D.C.
listen here (look up Sting in search engine. It is at bottom of list)

Warren Zevon
June 8, 1980
Folsom Field
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO
opening for Grateful Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment