Friday, March 12, 2010

Because It Makes You Feel So Good

Yeppers, I've done it now.  I went shopping and got some great tunes.  I checked my music catalogue, and I found It was deficient with some necessary items.  I bought the new Jimi Hendrix CD plus the new Flogging Molly combo CD/DVD pack. I also bought The Essential Donovan which is a real gas.  When I was a young kid around 8,  I found a copy of Donovan's Greatest Hits that my parents had as part of the Columbia Record Club.  I really got into it.  This brought back great memories like the song "Catch The Wind."  I also dig the tune "Season of the Witch."  Here is an extended jam of this song. I was listening to the tune "Atlantis" and I found it to be so groovy. The last tune is a cool little ditty that got played in the tune "Alligator" from The Grateful Dead off their album Anthem of the Sun, and it was turned into a full bore monster jam called "Mountain Jam" by The Allman Brothers Band.  The song is "There is a Mountain."

I was thinking of a quote that I heard Jerry say about the band when he say a picture of the Rolling Stones.  He said that they were just as ugly, so they must be as talented.  This got me to thinking about great ugly musicians.  The one that comes to mind is Robin Trower.  He is lacking in looks but not in ability.  His pedigree is flawless.  As a member of Procol Harum, they recorded the piece based on Bach called "A Whiter Shade of Pale."  As most musicians having their heads exploded by the likes of Hendrix,  Trower split from the band to do his own thing.  Being so influenced by Jimi,  he put out several albums that had him sound like Hendrix.  The one album I find fascinating is "Bridge of Sighs."  Here is the title track done live.  This next track is just too cool.  The jam will make feel so good.  It is called "Too Rolling Stoned."  We will finish this up with the great meeting of the musical minds of Jack Bruce and Robin Trower doing "Seven Moons."

Music for today:

Jimi Hendrix
Are You Experienced? CD

Jimi Hendrix
Electric Ladyland CD

Jimi Hendrix
Valleys of Neptune CD

Donovan
The Essential Donovan CD

No comments:

Post a Comment