Saturday, March 13, 2010

A look At British Folk Music

I took my daughter to go see the movie Alice in Wonderland.  It marks another collaboration between Tim Burton and Johnny Depp.  We saw it on the real big screen.  It was on the IMAX screen and in 3-D.  This got me to thinking about different  English groups.  The one that came to mind was Fairport Convention and Richard Thompson.  I have to admit that even though they have been around for quite some time they are relatively new to me.  I will start out with a song that upon the first hearing really grabs my attention is "Who knows where the time goes."  The next song is a great jam that I really like called "Matty Groves."  Richard Thompson had went solo and produced some great stuff.  The first song here is "1952 Vincent Black Lightning."  I went looking for other examples of English folk music, and I found the most  random strangest song ever put down.  It is called "They're Moving Father's Grave To Build A Sewer."

Music for today:

Ghosts of Electricity
October 31, 2009
Ashkenaz
Berkeley, CA
listen here
I have the audience recordings for this show.  This recording is obviously much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment