Monday, March 8, 2010

How Deep The Connections

I was checking out a tune by the group Blue Oyster Cult called "Black Blade."  The lyrics are by Michael Moorcock.  When I did a google seach of him, I landed on his Wiki page. He is a fantasy writer  that has a common theme throughout his works.  This is of the Eternal Champion.  When I looked this up, it gave me a link to "A Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Cambell.  This work was a major influence of George Lucas when he did "Star Wars."  Here is a better explanation of this connection.  Also, George Lucas was heavily influenced by the Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa's fim "The Hidden Fortress" which will be shown on Turner Classic Movies Tuesday at 11:30 Central Standard Time.  He wanted to purchase the rights of this movie, but it the basis for Episode IV ( the first film which came out in 1977). 

Back in 1986, there was a great meeting of the minds when Joseph Campbell and members of the Grateful Dead put on a joint seminar.  I go one step furthur by saying that the group moe. has been heavily influenced by the band Blue Oyster Cult.  It is also a matter of record that Bob Weir has played with moe.  The real message should be to never look at the obvious. I try to look for the connections that things have to each other.  They may seem real far out at the time, but it is nice when it can come full circle.

P.S.  This is an update from yesterday's post.  I messed up on picking Sandra Bullock for Best Actress. Other than that, I got the rest right.

Music for today:

Grateful Dead
November 10, 1973
Winterland Arena
San Francisco, CA
(It was released as a box set)

J. J. Cale
June 5, 1993
Somerville Theatre
Somerville, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment