Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

This is the day I like the best.  I like to celebrate my Irish heritage, and this day is the perfect day to do just that.  I did keep it low key on account that I had to spend time with my daughter.  We enjoyed the day by having a Shamrock shake and listening to the CD "Drunken Lullabies" by Flogging Molly.  We have history with that disc.  Here is "Rebel of the Sacred Heart" from that disc.  It wqouldn't be the holiday without The Pogues doing "If I should fall from the grace of God."  For those who imbibe and carouse, this next song is the perfect example of the end result of the all that partying: "Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced."  When talking about the music of Ireland, the rebellious nature towards the English Rule does play a major factor.  This song "The Merry Ploughboy" puts it in a nutshell. There should be of course a discussion of real traditional muic of Ireland.  The first example comes from the town of Doolin.  I had visited Doolin and caught live traditional music that was fantastic.  The next comes from Cruises in County Claire.




Music for today:

Grateful Dead
November 30, 1973
Boston Music Hall
Boston, MA
listen here

Flogging Molly
Drunken Lullabies CD

Brendan Mulholand, Brendan Hendry, and Paul McSherry
Tuned Up CD (traditonal Irish Music)

Various Artists
Music at Matt Molloy's CD (collection of traditional Irish music)

No comments:

Post a Comment