Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cosmic Tumblers

A couple of weeks ago, I put together a gift for a friend.  I got paid back in kind tonight.  Let me explain if I can.  The gift which I talked about earlier was both Rocking The Rhein and Hundred Year Hall by the Grateful Dead.  I put the rest of the Europe 72 tour on 5 DVDs as data files.  This would complete the entire tour as a gift.  After I sent it out, I asked to see it if it arrived.  During my conversation with this friend, I was informed that their favorite disc was Europe 72.  I picked correctly.  A week went by and I recieved a phone call from this friend thanking me for these gifts.  They had listened to the Rocking The Rhein (4/24/72) show in their car, and they were blown away.  They thought that the music was far superior to that of the orignal mix on Europe 72.  February 3 is the actual birthdate of this friend, and as a last minute thing, I went to go see Dark Star Orchestra play in Minneapolis.  They played at the Varsity Theater near the University of Minnesota campus.  I brought my recording equipment with me, but I had trouble with it from the start.  I gave it a go, but I had to give it up.  I was recording blind which is impossible to do.  I have to face facts that it is time to get a new recorder.  This recorder has been with me from coast to coast.  When the band started to play, the speculations started.  After three tunes, I knew it was a Europe 72 show.  I told one of my fellow tapers that I thought it was the Rocking The Rhein show.  I was dead on.  The cosmic tumblers lined up and gave back to what I had freely given.  I was so excited by this that I had to tell everyone I could.  I told the soundguy.  When I told him about the gift I gave, he was very impressed.  I am disappointed that my rig gave up the ghost, but I have some connections from some of the other tapers here in town for the recording of the show.

Music for today:

Jackie Greene
August 23, 2006
Weesner Amphitheater
Minnesota Zoo
Apple Valley, MN
listen here

Jackie Greene Band (w/Steve Berlin)
April 22, 2006
Fillmore Auditorum
San Francisco, CA
got from a vine a while ago

No comments:

Post a Comment