Friday, March 26, 2010

George Thorogood

In the summer of 1986, I was in Upstate New York at West Point Military Academy supporting the cadets for their basic training. I was in an ambulance company in the US Army.  I worked as a medic. It was a beautiful Summer morning right on the Hudson River.  We were waiting for the cadets to start their calisthenics on the exercise field.  I here them marching above on a cliff.  There is metal walkway that goes down a sheer rock face wall.  Just as they get to the walkway, I hear on the loudspeakers "Bad to the Bone", and they were marching in synch to the tune.  It gave goose bumps, because it so freaking cool.  So my little salute to the Delaware Destroyer would not be complete without  The tune "One Bourbon One Scotch One Beer."  To continue on the drinking theme, We have the old favorite (and something I used to do alot of when I imbibed) "I Drink Alone." 

The other soldiers that I was stationed with were from 101st Airbourne Division at Fort Cambell, KY.  I have a special bond with these guys.  On the day that I left Germany, it was on December 12, 1985.  Unbeknownst to me, a plane with serviceman form the 101st left the same airfield with a two hour difference.  The only thing is that they were not so lucky.  Their plane crashed in Newfoundland killing 248 servicemen.  By the time I got home and called for a ride, My mother answered with this reply, "You're alive."  Six monthes later, I am serving with the guys who were friends of dead soldiers.  That can weigh on a person's soul.  I just thought I'd share that story.

Music for today:

Little Feat
April 11, 1978
Warner Theater
Washinton D.C.
listen here

Little Feat
March 25, 2007
Colonial Theater
Phoenixville, PA
listen here ( put into search engine Little Feat and look for 3-25-2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment