Saturday, March 27, 2010

Salute To Woody

In 2006, I was on vacation in our nation's capitol with my mother and daughter.  We were resting one evening with the tv on the local public televison station.  They were showing American Masters with their focus on Woody Guthrie.  It was an enlightened program that highlighted many things that I didn't know about the man.  Many years ago, I picked up a CD at a garage sale that turned out to be one of the best things I have every found.  It was called Folkways: A Vision Shared - A Tribute to Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly.  I would like to share some of highlights from that disc with you. All of the following are covers of Woody Guthrie songs. The first is by Bob Dylan doing "Pretty Boy Floyd."  The nest song is U2 doing the song "Jesus Christ."  The following song is done by Woody's son Arlo.  It is called "Deportee."  There is also a cover done by Bruce Springsteen called "I Ain't Got No Home."  I will finish this up with Woody Guthrie doing "Hobo's Lullaby."

Music for today:

Loudon Wainwright III
June 5, 1993
Somerville Theatre
Somerville, MA
listen here (put LoudonWainwrightIII1993-06-05 in seach engine)

The Last Waltz Ensemble
February 22, 2008
The Pour House
James Island, SC

No comments:

Post a Comment