Wednesday, March 24, 2010

John Mayall

Earlier today, I listened to a great show by John Mayall and The Blues Breakers.  It was recorded at the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis, MN back in 1991.  What makes it so special is that I was at that particular show.  I went with fiancee.  She hadn't heard much of him.  We had gotten there early, and she told me that she needed to use the restroom.  So, I waited for her.  When she came back, she told me that she had gone snooping around the place and poked her head in the theatre.  She said that she saw an old man in tight leather pants on stage.  She must have thought that he was a roadie or something.  When we took our seats, there was a great performer opening up for John. I just can't remember who she was.  By the time John took the stage, my fiancee turned to me and said,"That's the guy I told you about.  That's him."  I just laughed.  Here are some all-time classic performances of the Godfather of British Blues.  These tunes come from a killer album called "The Turning Point":  "The Laws Must Change"; "California" and "Room to Move."  Here is an example of early Mayall from 1966 with him doing "Parchman Farm."


Music for today:

John Mayall
March 31, 1991
Guthrie Theatre
Minneapolis, MN
listen here (put John Mayall in Search engine and look for date)
I was at his show the year earlier.  My roommate and his friends dragged me out in a blizzard to drive them to the Cabooze to see him.  They had picked up his lastest release Chicago Line, and they had to check him out.  It was a great concert.  Mayall mentions The Cabooze at the Guthrie show.

Baron Von Tollbooth outtakes 1972

The Runaways movie soundtrack

Shutter Island movie soundtrack
Martin Scorsese allowed Robbie Robertson (from The Band) to hand pick all the music for the film.  It is by far the most haunting score I have ever heard.  It is truly a great collection.   There is nothing quite like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment