Thursday, April 22, 2010

Flogging Molly At First Ave

This evening was supposed to be a father/daughter evening out, but somethings were not meant to be. Originally,  I had read that it was going to an all ages show.  That is the information from the bands website. While I was at breakfast checking out a place that served Cuban food, I read our local entertainment rag.  I caught the ad for the place that it was being held, and much to my dismay, it said that it was an 18+ show.  I checked the tickets, and sure enough, that is what it said.  I felt really bad that I made this kind of mistake.  She didn't seem to heartbroken over this since early in the week she was to see a Broadway musical and another concert of one of her favorite bands.  It was shooting for the moon I guess, and I shot too far.  I went on facebook to see if anyone would want to go with me.  An old friend of mine wanted to but couldn't get out of work.

I went to the show, and eventually found someone who needed it.  I talked to an environmental group there inside the show.  I will share more info on them in another post.  I also bought a hat.  I wanted to buy a shirt, but they are all too small for me.  I did buy a baseball hat with Flogging Molly's logo on it.  I do like my caps.
I stood right behind the soundboard which was elevated.  This gave me a great view of both the warm up band and FM.  I met a guy named David who writes for Beholder Media.  He was a young guy that had never seen them in concert.  As we were talking, he told me about a guy from a band that had recently died.  The report was heart related, but he had a history of suicide in his past.  I told him that it reminded me of the old David Bowie tune "Rock and Roll Suicide" that he did when he was doing Ziggy Stardust.  This guy never heard of Ziggy Stardust, Lou Reed or Guitarist Extraordinaire Mick Ronson.  Here is another example of Mick Ronson's work  that I gave him (he is on lead guitar):  "Heroin part one, part two".

The music for the show was great.  It was like going to a big Irish wake.  There have been many people mentioned throughout that have passed on, and many dedications were made to various people for different causes.  The most poignant one was to the missing fiddle player.  Her mother was undergoing brain surgery, and she was not doing well.  Other than that, It was a great time to be had.

I picked up my copy of Avatar on blu-ray this afternoon.  It was completely stunning.  It is the best reason for blu-ray to exist.

Music for today:

Band of Heathens
April 15, 2010
The Bottling Company
Hattiesburg, MS
Opened For Mofro

01. Somebody Tell The Truth
02. Look At Miss Ohio
03. L. A. County Blues
04. Jenny Was A Keeper
05. Jackson Station
06. Your Gonna Miss Me

No comments:

Post a Comment