Monday, February 22, 2010

Billy Joel

Recently, I joined Facebook, and I am lookiing at all many people that I used to go to school with 30 years ago.  I would like to say that my life turned out just how I would like it to be, but it took some serious detours along the way.  Let's just say I took the scenic route.  One of the artists that made an impact on me during those strange days was Billy Joel.  I recently rediscovered his album "Piano Man."  There are three cuts that speak volumes for me.  The first is "Captain Jack."  The next is the bluegrass tinged song "Traveling Prayer."  The last from this fine albuim is the title track "Piano Man."  The song "Miami 2017 (I've Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)" was done at the Concert for New York after 9/11.  This song came out many years before that fateful day, but it is a very fitting song that honors the city and all those that lost their lives.  I did this  next song already, but I found a great rendition of "New York State Of Mind" from the Old Grey Whistle Test on the BBC in 1978.  The last salute to the piano man is the opus off of the "The Stranger"
album in the song "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant."

Music for today:

Grateful Dead
July 28, 1973
Watkin Glen Grand Prix Circuit
Watkins Glen, NY
listen here

Grateful Dead
July 31, 1973
Roosevelt Stadium
Jersey City, NJ
listen here

No comments:

Post a Comment