Wednesday, February 24, 2010

From Austin, TX via London, ENG

I recently found a song that I've been searching for a long time.  It was used as the theme for the music program "Austin City Limits" for many years.  I did find another version that was taken from the 2nd annual Willie Nelson BBQ.  It was rowdy with a naked blond woman to boot. They must have taken that down for obvious reasons.  The song is "London Homesick Blues" by Gary P. Nunn, and it can be found on the album "Viva Terlingua" by Jerry Jeff Walker.

But that is not what I came to talk to you about.  I came to talk about The Rolling Stones.  They put out a great album back in 1978 called "Some Girls."  There is a track on it that anwsers the previous song.  It is "Far Away Eyes."  They have put out other tunes that are just as good.  From the album "Exile On Main
Street", I offer the tune "Sweet Virgina."  For some more main stream Stones tunes, the next one should have been covered by The Grateful Dead or any other of the many post-Jerry bands: "2000 Light Years From Home."  The song "Dead Flowers" came to me by way of the New Riders of the Purple Sage from "Home Home on the Road." That is where I first heard it.  Sometimes the need to just plain rock out comes into play, so that is where the tune "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" satisfies so completely.

Music for today:

Grateful Dead
August 1, 1973
Roosevelt Stadium
Jersey City, NJ
listen here

Grateful Dead
Wake of the Flood Outtakes
search under Grateful Dead right after 8/01/73

Miles Davis
Black Beauty (Japanese Import)
2 CDs set recorded at Fillmore West April 10, 1970
His band opened for Grateful Dead for four dates. With this import, I now have three out of the four dates.

BK3
February 24, 2010
KPFA Performance Studio
KPFA-FM
Berkeley, CA
I streamed it online from their website.  I did donate to the station during the marathon.
They will archive the performance for two weeks.
listen here


A special shout out to a couple that I know that are celebrating their 48th wedding anniversary.  May the heavens continue to bless your union.

No comments:

Post a Comment