Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Doing the Cultural Thing

What does a person do on their day off from work other than sleep in?  I took myself to the Minneapolis Art Institute to see what was hanging.  I like the Impressionist painters the best (who doesn't?), so I went and took some snap shots to share with you.  The photo on top is a work of Van Gogh.  Some of the work that they have at the muesem is on loan, and they won't permit patrons from talking photos because of copyright laws.



This paiting is classic in the sense that it plays on the eyes and the sense of sight.  Please look closer to the painting. What do you see?



The painting above is called "The Clockmaker."  I just like the cubist style and machine like quality of the painting.  I need to go back to the MIA for further explorations in the wonderful world of art.  I have a great eye for it.  I just wished that I had the skill to bring forth great visons of imagination.  The paintings shown above are from photos that I took.


Music for today:

Pert Near Sandstone
Their new CD "Out On A Spree."
My first exposure to the band was when they opened for Railroad Earth on 9/21/06.  I recorded them, but I never got it up on the Archive.  There is a recording of that show plus others.  They are worth seeking out.  Pert Near Sandstone is a fun band in concert.  they have lots of energy.  They have a clogger who I have witnessed going nonstop for the whole show.

Grateful Dead
June 17, 1975
Winterland Arena
San Francisco, CA

Jethro Tull
August 15, 1976
Los Angeles Coliseum
Los Angeles, CA




1 comment:

  1. I'll make this quick:
    Very nice photos! I like looking at artwork as well - I especially like the Van Gogh painting at the top, and I got a real feel for him after trying to replicate one of his self-portraits for an assignment.

    ReplyDelete