Saturday, March 6, 2010

Field Of Dreams

Baseball is in the midst of Spring Training.  Whichever team that you cheer,  you can rest assure that this is a sport that has been here for generations.  For the first time since 1982, the Minnesota Twins will be playing outdoor baseball on real grass.  I remember our old outdoor stadium rather fondly.  The Mall of America sits on the location of the old Metropolitian Stadium.  On the floor of the amusment park in the center of the mall, there is a plaque that commerates homeplate. 

I just finished watching the movie "Field of Dreams."  I have to admit that the ending is a tear jerker.  I have the two-disc set with a round table discussion including: Johnny Bench, George Brett, and Bret Saberhagen. These all-pro baseball player's discuss their reaction to the film, and the impact that playing catch with their father as kids had on them as well as their own kids.  This may not sound like much, but it is a very imporant part of  male bonding and the male experience.  It is something that can continue to florish as a boy becomes a man.  This is at the very heart of team sports.  The bonds that are experienced between father and son and then between others continue to strengthen the very fabric of our culture.  We tend not to think of ourselves as a warrior culture, so we trancended this in to the art of sport. The desire to sacrifice for practice so that one my gain victory or bounce back from defeat is at the very heart of every athlete.  I did particpate in team sports for a short while in my youth.  I have become a keen observer to this point. Will I ever be a good athlete again?  I doubt that I have the drive or ambition  to do so. I consider myself to more or less a weeble right now. So we will leave it at that.

Music for today:

Grateful Dead
December 31, 1978
Winterland Arena
San Francisco, CA
Matrix recording (As soon as it come available, I will put up a link,)

Grateful Dead
October 30, 1973
Kiel Auditorium
St. Louis, MO
listen here

Grateful Dead
November 1, 1973
McGaw Memorial Hall
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL
listen here
Second set only (Morning Dew>Playing in the Band> Uncle John's Band> Playing in the Band) That's how the set started.

No comments:

Post a Comment