Sunday, February 28, 2010

Floor Show

Yesterday, there was an incident at my favorite breakfast spot.  As I was eating and reading the newspaper, a woman in a booth across from me had an unknown spell.  It was serious enough to call the paramedics. This event did not register in my mind until  I saw out of the corner of my eye the kit that they use th treat the patient.   I looked up and saw all the commotion.  I continued eating and watching.  I was about leave when they brought the stretcher and blocked me my way.  I was going to finish the last of my breakfast which was just a couple of bites, but when they got her on the stretcher and she threw up, I was finished for sure. 

My reaction to this incident reminded me of the way I responded to a similar accident when I was little.  I was living in a suburban setting next to a drainage pond.  Earlier in the day, I had gotten mad at my friend, so I put my fist through his screen door window.  I was watching TV, and there was a lot of commotion behind me.  I looked baut didn't seem to care.  I went outside through the patio door, and there was a large crowd gathered.  I asked what was going on, and they said "Don't you know? Your brother almost drowned." 

The story that I got from my brother was that he and a neighbor girl were playing by the pond.  She threw something in the wather and told him to go get it.  He did, but he struggled and went under the water.  he said that the next thing he saw was my mother standing on the deck watching him go under.  She ran as fast as she could and pulled him to safety.  This is where we came into the story.  It is surprising to me how close the past truly is.  There is a thin veil that seperates what we precieve as time.  Of course, there are some things that sould remain hidden from view.

Music for today:

Grateful Dead
September 20, 1973
The Spectrum
Philadelphia, PA
listen here

No comments:

Post a Comment