Monday, January 18, 2010

Arena Rock Of The 70s And 80s

I was browsing for gifts for friend that is into the old stuff of the heyday of the big concerts.  They were lacking in some of the essential items from this era.  Some of the things that  I found were at  "rock" bottom price.  It is a luxury that is very afforable.  It is no wonder that many of these artist were able to sell millions of albums.  Boy, that is word you never hear these days.  Actually, albums are starting to make a comeback.  They were hanging on by a fingernail for the mass consumer, but they are rebounding.  We start this off by breaking the ice with a great tune from MC5 "Kick Out The Jams."  The next group is Styx which I saw in 1983 from the Kilroy Was Here tour.  This girl I knew had an extra ticket to them, and I had an extra for the Grateful Dead.  Here is Styx doing "The Grand Illusion."  What would Arena Rock be without the band Boston.  Here are two fantastic songs from their debut album (which sold 17 million copies): "Smokin'" and "Foreplay-Long Time."  All of this music is what I listened to before I got into the Grateful Dead.  I saw "Terrible" Ted Nugent twice in concert while still in high school.  So, I will regale you with "Cat Scratch Fever."  I saw REO Speedwagon in concert  during this time as well.  Before you roll your eyes and think "how lame", I offer this  gem of a jam: "157 Riverside Ave."  I had a roommate from Rockford, IL while I was going to school for radio.  He swore by this next group as one of the best groups from this era.  The band is Cheap Trick.  Submitted for your approval is  "Surrender."  We will finish this up with a romp from Supertramp doing "Goodbye Stranger."

Music for today:

Grateful Dead
September 19, 1972
Roosevelt Stadium
Jersey City, NJ
listen here

Grateful Dead
September 23,1972
Palace Theater
Waterbury, CT
listen here

No comments:

Post a Comment