Thursday, January 21, 2010

GD With A Irish Edge

I believe that the Irish culture has greatly influenced the Grateful Dead.  It is hardly mentioned by any deadheads of Jerry's heritage.  Yes, it is true that his father was Spanish, but he died when Jerry was very young.  He was raised by his mother and grandmother who were of a Irish/Swedish mix.  I bring this up because of Jerry's choice of tunes before the Dead.  His gift of gab can is a cultural aspect of the storyteller nature of many Irishmen.  I also bring to mind the concert that they did on May 6, 1981 dedicated to Bobby Sands, the IRA hunger striker.  Last year, I saw a movie called "Hunger" that is based on the last days of Bobby Sands.  It is a very powerful and moving movie.  It will be coming to DVD on February 16, 2010.  I plan on getting it,  I might not watch it alot, but it will there for special viewings.  The other thing I found out about Jerry was that he visited Matt Malloy's (of the Chieftains) Pub in Westport, Ireland.  I happened to accidently stumble into the place while vacationing in Ireland.  What a lucky find.

Music for today:

Grateful Dead
October 9, 1972
Winterland Arena
San Francisco, CA
listen here

Grateful Dead
October 17, 1972
Fox Theatre
St. Louis, MO
listen here

No comments:

Post a Comment